Vanessa serves as the Assistant Director of the Student Involvement and Leadership Center for The Center for Sexuality and Gender Diversity. Vanessa came to KU in 2015 from the University of Colorado Colorado Springs where she was the Program Director for the LGBT Resource Center in the Multicultural Office for Student Access, Inclusiveness and Community. Vanessa earned a Master of Arts in Mental Health Counseling from Northern Arizona University in 2012, where she was part of an LGBT Task Force that founded the Office for LGBTQA Resources and Support and served on the inaugural staff. Vanessa was born and raised in El Paso, TX and has a Bachelor of Science degree in Psychology from Texas A&M University. While at Texas A&M she helped establish the first stand-alone LGBT student serving office at any public Texas university—the GLBT Resource Center. She is also a very dedicated Aggie football fan.
Vanessa enjoys volunteering with LGBT-youth serving organizations and organizations that work to end intimate partner violence. Vanessa strives to make people laugh while they learn and hopes to meet you soon!
Contact for Information about:
- LGBT programs and events
- Gender Identity questions
- Safe Zone training
- Services/referrals for LGBT students, faculty and staff
- To request a classroom presentation
- United States Air Force Academy briefing
- Peterson Air Force Base briefing
- One-Colorado Statewide Convening for LGBT Youth Leaders: “Including the T: building and inclusive Gay-Straight Alliance”
- University of Colorado Diversity Summit 2014: “Out of the Classroom Closet”
- University of Colorado Diversity Summit 2012: “Building an Inclusive Classroom for LGBT students”
- Vice Chancellor for Student Success and Enrollment Management: Directors Forum
- UCCS—Counseling 5800: Roles and Functions of School Counselors: “Including LGBT students in School Counseling”
- UCCS—Leadership 5260: College Student Development Theories: “LGBT Student Development”
- UCCS—Health Sciences 3630: Culture and Health: “LGBT Health Disparities”
- UCCS—Women’s and Ethnic Studies 3130: Gender, Race and Sexuality: “LGBT 101: Introduction to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender topics”
- UCCS--Psychology 3620: Developmental Psychology: “LGBT Development Across the Lifespan”
- UCCS Orientation Welcome Leaders in-Service: “LGBT 102: LGBT student development”
- UCCS Student Government Association in-Service: “Diversity, Privilege and Oppression: Why it matter for you”
Vanessa is a twin and is married to someone who is also a twin. She also has an adorable English Bulldog named Señor Pibb.